BBQ season is officially open and here is a new fun, and easy recipe: I named this one Mama’s citrus popsicle. It’s got all the citrus vitamins mama needs, the wonderful summery flavor of rosemary reminiscent of my beloved Provence, and a dash of gin to help mama heal her soul.
You can make a virgin (non-alcoholic) version of this popsicle; simply “label” Mama’s popsicle by adding branches of rosemary and slices of grapefruit — because mama also knows the little ones don’t want yucky stuff in their popsicles! *wink*
Ready? Here is the recipe for Mama’s citrus popsicle…
What you need :
For the rosemary simple syrup:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 5 to 8 fresh rosemary twigs
For the cocktail:
- 1/3 cup of rosemary simple syrup (see above)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1/3 cup of orange (or tangerine) juice
- 1/2 cup of gin*
- a few chucks of citrus and a few rosemary twigs to decorate your popsicle and label the alcoholic vs. non alcoholic pop versions (optional).
- In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, and mix well, until sugar is completely dissolved. Add the rosemary twigs and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the syrup to cool and steep for at least 1 hour. Strain out the rosemary using a mesh strainer.
- In a cocktail shaker, mix all the ingredients (syrup, juices and gin) and shake well.
- Pour the mixture in a popsicle mold – I got this popsicle mold a few seasons ago, and I’m still quite happy with it. Add the optional sliced pieces of citrus and twigs to decorate. Don’t forget to insert the popsicle sticks (I got these, and they are perfect.)
- Let in the freezer for 8 to 10 hours, and enjoy responsibly!*
All pictures French By Design ©