Living in San Francisco, I dread every fog day in this city. While we San Franciscans adore our Karl the Fog – yes, we do have a name for our fog! – my hair does not do well with humidity. No matter how I try to style it, I get those funny frizzy hairs on top of my head. So far, my strategy has been to use a beanie hat, and pretend it’s a deliberate fashion choice. But in reality, it’s been either beanie head or frizzy hair.
Enter Living Proof, a revolutionary hair product company. Grounded in proven science and a commitment to products that work, Living Proof was developed in Cambridge in collaboration with MIT scientists. Their motto? We are the science, you are the living proof.
I was invited to visit Spruce‘s queen of the coiffure, Hillary Spry, an Oakland-based hairstylist and Living Proof expert for a one-on-one session to learn more about the Living Proof products and get some personalized expert advice on what products to use for my type of hair.
Hillary explained to me the science behind the Living Proof product line, how each product she selected for me is designed specifically to protect the hair and lock the humidity out of it. I also learned that if you use a regular shampoo with silicon and then a Living proof humidity blocking product, the effect is not as good, because you are leaving in hair residue that prevents the active ingredients of the humidity blocker from doing their job.
One thing that got me all excited is that Hillary explained that by using Living Proof products, you don’t have to wash your hair as often. Because your hair is protected at the base from outside elements, it’s also protected from dirt! So I took her up on the challenge and told her I would try the products and check back with her in two weeks. I have to say that within two washes, I’ve already noticed that my hair is not “greasy” at its base after two days, which is typically the time between hair washes for me, so I’ve been pushing to three days between washes, and more if I can.
So for the next 2 weeks, I am trying these products from the Living Proof line :
[from left to right on this picture]
- The No Frizz Humidity Shield: Hillary told me to use it after I style my hair to protect my styling and block humidity.
- The Living Proof Perfect Hair Day 5-in-1 styling treatment: I apply it on damp hair and it protects my hair from the heat of a styling flat iron or hair blower.
- The Perfect hair Day shampoo and conditioner. I got some bad points from Hillary when I told her that I was not using conditioner at every wash. She made me swear to be consistent with conditioner use. Do you use a conditioner at EVERY wash?
- The Prime Style Extender Spray: This one is applied prior to adding any styling product, after the wash, on damp hair. Just like make-up or paint, it works like a primer and helps the styling products penetrate deeper in the hair cell.
- And finally, the Perfect Hair Day Dry Shampoo. Now, I’ve heard a lot of bad things about dry shampoos – but never used one myself before – so I’m a bit anxious to use it. Hillary reassured me and told me that this dry shampoo will not damage my scalp, and told me to use it after a sweaty walk or a short run, just to give it a try. I promised her I would try it.
I had so much fun with Hillary, got pampered with a glass of champagne, a great chat, and left her hair studio looking like a new woman already and a bag full of goodies to try! Stay tuned, as I will check back in a couple of weeks to let you know if I’ve noticed any difference in my hair and my never-ending fight against frizz.
This post is in partnership with Living Proof, but all opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that make FrenchByDesign possible.